- During the vampire renaissance of the 1970s, this writer, known best for his SF work, published the first of his successful and critically acclaimed “Dracula” series, titled “An Old Friend Of The Family.”
- The following line opens chapter one of a well-known dark fantasy novel: “The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.” Name the novel.
- His first novel “Green Eyes”, about scientifically generated zombies, was published in 1984 as a New Ace Science Fiction Special. This author remains one of the more respected “literary” artists in science fiction, and his most highly acclaimed genre novel is “Life In Wartime.” Name the writer.
- Which of the following titles is not a film adaptation of Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend?
A) I Am Legend
B) The Omega Man
C) The Waking Dead
D) The Last Man On Earth
- Tim Powers wrote about Byron, Shelley, Caligari and the vampiric Lamia in this darkly dripping secret history novel.
- “These are the stories that the Dogs tell when the fires burn high and the wind is from the north. Then each family circle gathers at the hearth stone and the pups sit silently and listen and when the story’s done they ask many questions: …..” Thus starts which award-winning novel?
- In Neal Stephenson Snow Crash, what job does the main character, Hiro Protagonist, hold at the beginning of the novel?
- In Arthur C. Clark’s book The Hammer of God, what is the name of the ship that docks and later deflects the asteroid away from Earth?
- Who is the late scientist, beloved by “billions,” for whom the 1997 Mars Pathfinder lander was renamed?
- The “Night’s Dawn” space opera trilogy, written in the 1990s, is centered around the souls of the dead coming back from a hellish “beyond” to possess the living, and the latter fighting back. Name the author.
(Answers below the fold)
- Fred Saberhagen
- Something Wicked This Way Comes
- Lucius Shepard
- The Waking Dead
- The Stress of Her Regard
- City, by Clifford Simak
- Pizza Delivery
- A) Goliath
- Carl Sagan
- Peter F. Hamilton